December 09, 2011

first home made cheese

in Belize.





I already made cheese in Germany. It was easy to get all ingredients I needed. I could order the rennet and starter or edible mold cultures online. I could get fresh milk and heavy cream in every shop (and I could be sure that they're not spoiled when I open them at home).

Here it is a little different. To get decent and affordable milk for making cheese is not so easy. (Now I found a place but I have to pay 12BZ /gallon).

10 days ago I started and today was "the big day" - I took them out of my special fridge (not warmer than 60°F and not cooler than 56°F).

They look like edible mold cheese - and they taste like cheese... but unfortunately the milk had to less fat - so they taste like diet-cheese.

Next time I'll add heavy cream. But I'm so glad that it worked out. :)))))



No comments:

Post a Comment